Wednesday, June 23, 2010

strawberries...mmmmm

It is strawberry season - yum, yum, yum. I got a bit carried away, buying big baskets of them two days in a row because really, how can you resist? I can't. So I had strawberries - we ate them and ate them but we weren't eating them fast enough as they last only a short time. As my guys had eaten most of the muffins I made last week, I made a new batch using some of the strawberries.



Strawberry Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Nigella Express
125 ml vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 mashed banana
1 1/2 c of sliced strawberries, pureed roughly to about 1 cup
250 g  flour
100 g brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
150 g chocolate chips

Add the eggs to the oil and whisk together. In a separate bowl, mash the banana and mix with the strawberry puree. In a medium bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt and mix until blended. Add in the oil/egg mix and blend well. Add in the fruit and mix until blended. Add the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated. Spoon the batter into 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes at 400 deg F.

Note - the batter is quite pink before baking but after baking is only tinged pink. My boy didn't even notice!

No comments: