Thursday, August 5, 2010

corn pancakes

I was pretty sure I wrote about these last year but cannot find the post so I'll write about them again. These little pancakes (or not so little) come in handy when you have a hole to fill on your plate and no inspiration is happening - at least for me. They work well with frozen corn but right now, with fresh corn available at the fruit stand, it's fresh all the way. I haven't eaten a lot of fresh corn in recent years but this recipe changed that - now I have many recipes using corn kernels cut off the cobs. This is how I made them last night -

Spicy Corn Pancakes (adapted from eat make read)
2 c of corn - kernels cut off 3 ears of corn
1 diced, roasted red pepper (optional)
1 c milk (I ran out of milk so I used half milk, half plain yogurt)
4 tbsp butter
1/8 tsp very hot chili powder
pepper
2 large eggs
1 1/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese

In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the corn, milk, chili, red pepper, pepper and butter. Heat and stir until the butter melts. Take off the heat.
In a bowl, whisk the 2 eggs together and add the corn mixture. Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the egg/ corn mixture. Add in the cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes to rest.
In a pan over medium heat, put tbsp of batter (for the size of pancake you want) and heat until set about halfway up the sides. Flip over and brown the second side. Serve warm.

No comments: