Monday, February 8, 2010

not my mum's turkey pot pie version 2

On Sunday I was searching for dinner ideas so I took a troll through my freezer. I found a big bag of frozen turkey pieces and a small bag of leeks. A further look in the cupboard turned up a huge sweet potato. So I decided to make a version of turkey pot pie.

1/2 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
7 mushrooms, sliced
2 oz butter
2 oz flour
650 mL turkey stock
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 tsp dijon mustard
salt, pepper, cayenne
4-5 c. cooked turkey, chopped

Saute the onion, celery, carrot in the butter. Add the mushrooms, garlic and mustard and cook for about 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add the flour and stock and whisk to blend. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne to taste and cook for 10 minutes until thick and the flour is cooked. Add the cut up turkey and mix well. Cook for ~ 5 minutes. Pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.


In the meantime, bake or boil one large sweet potato and 2 small regular potatoes until done. Peel and mash with 2 tbsp butter until smooth.
Spread over the top of the turkey mixture.


Sprinkle 2 sliced leeks (white and light green parts only, well cleaned) and over the leeks, sprinkle ~ 1 cup of grated cheddar. Bake at 350 deg F for 30-45 minutes until the cheese is melted and turning golden brown. (I don't have pictures of the finished casserole - I went out for a hike and brought a friend back for supper and was too busy chatting to remember to take photos!) It was delicious!

No comments: