Wednesday, October 13, 2010

yam and chard lasagna

When I got my new KitchenAid, (which makes it sound like I had an old one - not!) I also got three pasta attachments, a roller and two cutters. I've been a bit slow to use them but a couple of weeks ago, I made some pasta sheets and used them to make lasagna. Here is the pasta drying.


For filling, I used some left over roasted yam mixture I had in the freezer after making pierogis. And I added some sauted chard and a bechemel sauce to the mix. I should have made more sauce as the homemade pasta soaks up a lot of moisture in cooking. So here is what I would do next time:


 2 c roasted yam mixture (mine was mixed with sauted leeks and smoked gouda cheese)
1 bechemel sauce recipe
lasagna sheets
1 large bunch of chard, stemmed and sliced and sauted until wilted
shredded parmesan

Bechemel
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
760 mL milk (or milk and stock mixed)
grated nutmeg
salt and pepper

Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and milk and whisk until the flour is incorporated. Heat for 5 minutes and season to taste. Lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes to cook the flour.


Lasagna
Pour 1/4 of the sauce into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Add 1 layer of lasagna noodles over the sauce, cutting to fit if required. Add 1/3 of the yam mixture and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the chard over the yam and then sprinkle some parmesan over this. Pour about 1/4 of the remaining sauce over this layer and spread evenly. Repeat the layers 2 more times. Add a layer of pasta and pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle generously with more cheese.


Bake at 350 deg F until the cheese is golden brown and the casserole is bubbly.




No comments: