Tuesday, October 12, 2010

green tomato pie (with sausage!)

Summer didn't last very long here on the wet coast - started in July and ended in late August so my garden was a bit behind on growing. The tomatoes are ripening now after weeks of being on the vine and green. I found this recipe after Willi asked for green tomato recipes and I made it up using green romas last weekend.


 Green tomato and sausage pie (adapted from here)

1 tart dough recipe ( I used my favorite one from here)
1 lb mild italian sausage meat
6 cubed green roma tomatoes
2 c sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced
1 1/2 c grated cheese (I used cheddar and smoked gouda)

Preheat the oven to 400 deg F. Make the pastry and roll into a tart plate. From the crust and roll off the excess dough with a rolling pin. Dimple the bottom of the dough with your fingers. Spread 1 tbsp dijon mustard evenly across the bottom of the pie.

Brown the sausage and set aside. Saute the onions in 1-2 tsp of the remaining sausage grease until a bit soft and then add the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms cook down and set the onion mushrooms mix aside with the sausage meat. Cook the tomatoes (if juicy add 1-3 tbsp of flour to thicken the juice). Add the sausage, onion, mushroom mix into the tomatoes and put the filling into the pie shell. Cover with cheese.


Bake at 400 deg F for 30 minutes or until the pastry is brown and the filling is bubbly.


1 comment:

Farmgirl Susan said...

Hi Charlotte,
This looks wonderful! Hopefully I'll have a lot more green tomatoes in my garden next year, so will bookmark the recipe until then.

Thanks for sharing your pie story. The next book I give away (like the last one) will probably be able to ship internationally. In the meantime, if you're interested, my best pal Beth, aka kitchenMage (http://blog.kitchenmage.com) is giving away a signed copy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks, and it must ship to a Canadian address! :)