Sunday, May 2, 2010

soccer, slides and supper

T and I arrived home on Friday and discovered a large box in our front hallway. At first I thought it was a huge truck (scraper or quarry truck) for D but no. It was my KitchenAid stand mixer!


So exciting! Thanks to my lovely D for letting me buy this with his work anniversary gift card. Although I did pay extra for the pasta attachment which is also on its way.

Saturday was a busy day. After breakfast



a few games of leaping lizard and soccer Star Wars, some grocery shopping, we headed off to soccer. T ran around with his friends and scored a goal and got to be the wolf in on round of "what time is it Mr. Wolf"? After soccer, D dropped me off at a local school to meet up with friend of T's and his mum and play games at the Spring Fair. The boys went down the huge bouncy slide many times, on a tea cup spinney ride once and through a bouncy obstacle course a few times and then down the slide many more times. Then the boys had ice cream and covered themselves in blue bubblegum and chocolate respectively. Then it was time to go and wait for D to pick us up, so the boys dug in the dirt with a truck until D arrived. Home.

Dinner was pasta with swiss chard and sausage, adapted from a recipe I love for creamed spinach.

I chopped the swiss chard

 and let it drain while I prepared the sauce. I sauted 1 diced shallot, 3 mild italian sausages, casings removed and diced, and 1 tsp minced garlic. When the shallot was soft, I added 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 3 tbsp butter and cooked until the sausage and mushrooms were brown. Then I added 1 3/4 cups milk (I used 1%) and 3 tbsp flour and stirred well until the flour was well blended. Cook for 5 minutes until thick and bubbly. Meanwhile cook your pasta, I used penne. Once the sauce is thick, turn down the heat, grate in some nutmeg and add the drained swiss chard. Stir to mix



 and let cook for another couple of minutes to warm up the chard. Add the pasta and serve with grated parmesan cheese.

Yum!

No comments: