Friday, January 29, 2010

rabbit for supper - welsh ones

Ree over on www.thepioneerwoman.com posted about welsh rarebit (rabbit) the other day and reminded me how much I used to love that yummy, baked cheese on toast goodness when I was a kid. So I rifled through my mum's recipe box and found her recipe. Well, not so much a recipe as instructions. And vague ones at that! Printed on the back of a piece of a job posting from the Public Service Commission.

Welsh Rarebit
Make a thick white sauce, using equal margarine and flour. Add salt, pepper, cayenne, dry mustard and enough milk to make a thick mixture. Add grated cheese and cook until the cheese is melted and the flour is cooked. Put on toast and broil until brown. (In the interests of this even making any sense, I have added a few words...)
I made Welsh Rarebit (pronounced Rabbit) for supper tonight and was a bit more precise about the measurements.
2 tbsp butter
4 tsp flour
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
8 tbsp milk or beer
salt and pepper
1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar

Mix together and cook on medium heat until thick and bubbly. Pour over toast (8 slices) and broil until the cheese is toasty brown and bubbly. For an extra special treat, put cooked rashers of bacon over the top, or grilled tomato slices. Eat. (Note this is very rich so two pieces will serve an adult, one for a child).


I asked D if he ever had this as a child and he said no. He always turned it down because he thought there was real rabbit in it.

No comments: