Wednesday, May 23, 2012

lemon poppy seed cupcakes

One of our boy's favorite treats is a visit to "Starbocks" where he can get some warm hot chocolate and some cake. By cake, he means lemon poppy seed loaf. And a few weeks ago, I picked up a package of mini lemon poppy seed cupcakes as a snack and the boy was in love. And keeps asking for them. So the other day, while driving to work, it occurred to me that I should/could make cupcake versions of these for the boy using Molly's lemon yogurt cake and adding poppy seeds. So I bought lemons and poppy seeds and the other day, I made them. In the end, because I had Bon Appetit magazine on the counter with a lemon loaf recipe in it, I used that recipe instead of Molly's. (Her book is upstairs, in my bedside reading pile as I reread it occasionally. I highly recommend it.)


Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes (from Bon Appetit)

1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 c sugar
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
3/4 c greek yogurt
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds

Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Spray muffin tins (I used regular and mini tins) with vegetable oil spray. Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. In a bigger bowl, rub the sugar with the lemon zest until well mixed. Add the yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla and whisk to blend. Add the flour mixture and mix until blended. Blend in the poppy seeds.

Pour (or scoop) into tins.


Bake for 18 minutes and check for doneness, the cake tops spring back to the touch or a tester inserted into the middle of a cake comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.

These are a hit and I need to make more as they are almost all gone (accompanied by the happy cupcake dance on a few occasions).






No comments: