Saturday, March 3, 2012

chutney chicken

The time has come again. My freezer is so full that I cannot fit anything new into it, so I must make a concerted effort to use things in the freezer. I’ve been doing this slowly over the past couple of weeks and I’ve found I keep a lot of chicken thighs. I buy them in a big pack and divide them up but it got a bit out of control. So the other night, somewhat inspired by Jamie Oliver, I made up this recipe totally stealing Jamie’s method. It took me a bit longer than 30 minutes to make dinner but not much.

Chutney Chicken (inspired by Jamie Oliver’s 30 Minute Meals)
8-9 chicken thighs (I used bone in, skin on)
Salt and pepper
½ c chutney (I used my peach chutney)
½ c greek style yogurt

Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken and lay the chicken skin side down into a hot pan. Cook the chicken over medium-high heat until the skin is brown (~ 8 minutes), flip and cook for another 8 minutes or so until the chicken is well on it’s way to being done. Mix the chutney and yogurt together in a small bowl. Drain most of the fat out of the chicken pan (wipe down as much of the surface as you can with paper towel), and then add the chutney yogurt mixture. Turn down the heat to medium and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked and the sauce has formed a kind of glaze over the chicken. Serve with your favourite sides. (I had leftover potato cakes and some mashed carrot and turnip.)

No comments: