Saturday, November 13, 2010

mustard roasted chicken thighs

I made this again the other night as I came across a big bag of chicken thighs when excavating the freezer. I've been trying to cook through the freezer, as my sister-in-law calls it - that is using freezer ingredients for dinner instead of running out to the grocery store all the time. After all, that is the reason for stocking the freezer, to preserve the essence of the season, and take advantage of sales, etc and eat the food. D loves chicken and T will now eat tiny (he calls them mouse bites) morsels occasionally and let's face it, a big bag of chicken thighs frees up quite a bit of freezer real estate. So I went back to Luisa's recipe for mustard roasted chicken thighs - easy and delicious. I forgot the smearing of herbs but did season with salt and pepper - I also forgot the melted butter topping but it all worked out.

Here's how I did it - adapted slightly from the Wednesday Chef

1 bag chicken thighs (I think I had 9)

Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. Coat each side of the chicken with about 1/2 tbsp of mustard (I used dijon) per thigh. Place into a greased baking dish, skin side up. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top -



here Luisa suggests panko crumbs but I've used regular bread crumbs and gluten free bread crumbs (made from a failed attempt at gluten free bread which yielded very fine gluten free bread crumbs so all was not lost!) and the finer crumbs worked the best. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 deg F. This last time I sprinkled a bit of parmesan over the chicken about 5 minutes before removing from the oven. Yum.



Here it is, served with panade.

No comments: