Sunday, May 16, 2010

quinoa for supper

The other week I was perusing the grocery shelves for some spelt flour as I was looking to add spelt to my bread recipe based on a suggestion. I didn't find any in the flour aisle so I asked a clerk. They didn't have any spelt he didn't think but they did have another ancient grain and he took me to the coucous/rice section and proudly handed me a box of quinoa. Well, chops to him for knowing that quinoa is an ancient grain and I felt as he'd gone out of his way I would get the quinoa. And figure out what to do with it later. So Tuesday found me with some chard from the market needed to be used up in my vegetable drawer and quinoa in the cupboard so I found this recipe.

Here is how I made it:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, diced (simply because I ran out of onion)
3 garlic cloves minced
3 small carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 red and yellow pepper, diced
2 c uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 c dry lentils, rinsed
1 1/2 c sliced mushrooms
900 ml vegetable broth
1 bunch chard, stems removed and sliced into ribbons

I heated the oil and sauted the shallot, mushrooms, peppers, carrot and garlic until soft. Then I added the quinoa and lentils and stirred for a minute before adding the broth. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chard until wilted.

I added parmesan crumbles to the top. It was a bit dry and the chard could have used a bit more cooking. I liked it but D felt it needed more zip. For him I added more liquid (if I made this again I would add at least another c of water) and 1/4 crumbled feta, and a dash of balsamic vinegar.


I will try this again but with spinach instead of chard as I found the chard didn't really blend in with the rest - add some tomatoes and some heat - smoked paprika or chili flakes. As I like cheese with most things, I think the feta will stay as well.

No comments: