Sunday, November 3, 2013

keep on tryin'

So one of my challenges now is, to see if I can limit the amount of refined sugar and chocolate in our boy's diet.Of course, chocolate is it's own food group for him so this will be a challenge. And we got the suggestion the week before Hallowe'en.

our bald eagle takes flight?
So I didn't start right away. I mean I know parents who take their kids trick or treats away from them and sub in no sugar, no chocolate organic candy but I'm not that organized and my boy knows, to the piece, what he got in his bag and would not be on board with me taking anything but the twizzlers away. So I'm starting now. My first experiment is with granola bars. These are a big part of his food intake right now and I'm not proud of that but for me it is a way of getting cereal into him. So I rootled around google the other day and found this recipe and thought I would give it a go. I have yet to have the boy's take on whether they fly or not, but my husband likes them.

Chewy Granola Bars (adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
1 c rolled oats
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 c rice krispie cereal
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp oat flour (I used ground rolled oats)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 c brown rice syrup
1 pack stevia
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp applesauce
1 handful each of chopped dried cherries, cocoa nibs and mini marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Pour the mixture into a parchment lined, well greased 8x8 pan and squish the mixture very flat (with a can). Bake for 18 minutes, then squish down again. Refrigerate for 10 minutes before cutting. Keep refrigerated to set.

2 comments:

Clare said...

I really firmly believe that whil sugar is generally a BAD THING, chocolate is generally is a GOOD thing ;) Any chance of training the boy's palate to enjoy dark chocolate instead of milk/sweet?

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.ph . Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and it deserves to be included on the Top list!! Great recipes!! We will feature your blog and we will make a lot of shout out about your foods and recipes on our fan pages so that people and our 3million users worldwide will be able to check it on our site.

MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000 visitors from us on a weekly basis.The Philippines has now a myTaste (mytaste.ph) and it is officially live.

Since your blog is English with recipes that Filipinos and Asians could enjoy, we would like to invite you to add your food blog to the list.
If you are interested, you can join us by following this link http://www.mytaste.ph/join_top_food_blogs

This will expose your blog to lot of foodies in the Philippines, Asia and around the globe and could help to increase your blog traffic.

EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!!The World deserves to know how great a cook you are.

Kind Regard
Ricky
info@mytaste.ph