Tuesday, June 21, 2011

it worked!

I'm very excited. After reading Deb's account of making ricotta cheese, I was inspired by a commenter to make goat cheese

I picked up some goat's milk, whipped out a saucepan and my candy thermometer (ok - so I had to dig through the miscellaneous kitchen drawer for a bit to find it) and squeezed a lemon and voila - a mild, goat cream cheese! Oh yeah - add in a colander, a bowl, cheese cloth and a wooden spoon as well. I have to say, I'm slightly chuffed with myself and a bit amazed.

Goat Cheese (from Serious Eats)

1 litre goat's milk
1/4 c lemon juice

Heat the milk to 180 deg F over medium heat. This should take about 15 minutes. Once it gets to temperature, take it off the heat and add the lemon juice. The mixture should form small chunks. If it doesn't, add a few more drops of lemon juice. Ladle the mixture into a colander, lined with 3-4 sheets of cheesecloth.


Tie the ends of the cheesecloth together and let drip over a deep bowl for 1-2 hours.



Transfer the cheese into a small container, mix in herbs and salt to taste.

No comments: